This recipe for Quinoa, Chicken & Kale Soup is Pure Joy Wellness approved for healthiness, heartiness, and ease, with only five cooking steps. Let us know in the comments how yours turned out. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa (white, red or black — any kind you like)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (7 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15.5 oz) can Great Northern or Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups packed kale, roughly chopped (chop off and discard thick ribs)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
(1) Add chicken to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
(2) Add onions, celery and garlic, then drizzle with olive oil.
(3) Add quinoa, thyme, rosemary and pour in chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 – 4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours.
(4) Remove the chicken and let it cool for 10 minutes. Cut it into bite size pieces and put it back in the soup. Next, add in the beans, kale, parsley and lemon juice, then cover and continue to cook on HIGH for another 10 – 20 minutes until the kale has reached desired tenderness.
(5) Serve warm topped with finely shredded parmesan cheese (or leave the cheese off for lower calories and fat).